Sunday, September 14, 2008

"Ike hit Tina harder than Austin"

That's what a billboard says here in Austin. It's true. Yesterday was a little windy, but no more than the common windy day. However, Ike hit the Gulf Coast in catastrophic ways.

Matt's station, KXAN, sent a crew to Clear Lake City - thank God that "crew" didn't include my husband!! Even though he had to go to the station Saturday morning to anchor the news, at least we were in the same town and both out of harm's way. During his Saturday shift, he called home to warn me that they were sending him to the Gulf Coast today to relieve the team that was there. I had mixed emotions.

You see, one thing you have to understand about my husband is that he's a journalist to his core. As much as he LOVES anchoring, all he wanted to do was bust out of the station doors and drive into the eye of the storm to report on the news. In my opinion, that's the stupidist thing I've ever heard! I always yell at the TV when I see journalists standing out in the wind and rain telling all of us to get as far away from there as possible! But, that's what makes Matt, Matt. And, I am the one who was glued to my TV all day wanting to see what was going on. :)

So, while I knew Matt should go and that he wanted to, I (selfishly) just wanted him home. The girls and I just got back last Tuesday after taking a 10 day tour of KC and Illinois. While that trip was super fun, we missed Matt/Daddy. Now, Grace just doesn't understand why Daddy is "at work," but his car is still in the garage.

Praise the Lord that He has placed us here in Austin for a purpose (more about this in my next post) and given us fabulous friends that have stepped in and offered to hang out with us the next few days.

You can check out a blog about Matt's trip on KXAN's website.
http://blogs.kxan.com/newsroom/

No comments: