Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Vague Sense of Blah...

More and more, my goal through posts on this blog is to share some deep enriching biblical I am learning right now in my life. Many of you might know, but I am part of a discipleship group of men that feel called to teach at our church, The Austin Stone. It has shaken my faith in Jesus Christ more than any other season of my life. And this is all good!

The group is filled with very smart men - men that have a passion for the Word of God. We are studying some very rich ways to study the bible and it has challenged me more than any of my college classes ever did. At times, I have felt extremely encouraged by this group. At other times, I have felt extremely unworthy to take part.

This post by John Piper resonated with me today. At times, during this group, I have felt crummy feelings of not being good enough or smart enough to read the word of God on an intense level. Those feelings lead into this "vague sense of blah," as I like to call it, where it paralyzes me from taking any further steps toward the word of God because I feel unworthy to even approach it. But like Piper points out, there are some areas of sin in my life I still need to pray about areas that I must claim Christ has overcome.

When I pray and repent of those sins, "Prayer feels possible and right and powerful again," as Piper said. Even more, I believe approaching the word of God feels right and powerful again.

No comments: